Monday, June 23, 2008

MRSA.............not the news you want to hear.

Yesterday, the head nurse of the hospital called to tell me my husband now has MRSA in his blood. This is very serious and can be fatal. They have him isolated, again, and have started him on vancomycin which is the first line of defense against this nasty disease. They believe his is hospital related and once the Infection Control people track where it came from we'll know for sure. I went up to the hospital early this morning to make sure I was there when the doctors and the infection team showed up.
The future for my husband is still very questionable but he did seem a bit better today and since it's been over 24 hours they are hopeful it was caught in time and he will be OK. They test his blood before and after each dose of vancomycin to see and measure the improvement made.
This is a very scary disease.
I'm angry, frightened and tired but we can't afford to give up at any point much less now. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. The longer he's in the hospital, the sicker he seems to get.

No comments: