Friday, February 13, 2009

An early Valentine's Day .......

A good day..... I got to sleep in until 9 am.,had a leizurely coffee time, made some phone calls and then spent time on google doing some event research. I finally got into the shower and got dressed up to take my husband to the 'Magic Rolling Pin' for lunch. It was AMAZING! The atmosphere is wonderful and since we know the owners somewhat, it makes it even more fun. We were served a coffee for me and my husband had a very special green tea. He said it was really good! They also make some of the best coffee. The presentation is so great.... beautiful china mug with my own crystal cream and sugar and silver spoon. My husband got his tea in a bone china cup and saucer, an individual teapot with strainer...and then, a little sand timer to time the steeping of his tea. On the side of his saucer was a home made ginger cookie in the shape of a teapot. We then ordered. I ordered one of the daily specials which was portobello mushroon and havarti cheese quiche with a mixed greens salad and homemade poppy seed dressing........absolutely delicious. My husband picked an item off the regular menu and had a seafood crepe with homemade butternut and apple soup. He loved it! For dessert, I ordered a homemade butter tart and he ordered pineapple upside down cake. We hardly ever eat out which makes this type of experience more special.
My husband took me home. After he made a few phone calls he said he had to go back into town for some of his own errands.
When he came home he brought me a beautiful Valentine's bouquet of various 'red' flowers..stunning! For our dinner, since we'd eaten big at lunch, we had a couple of alcoholic beverages and then I made pastry covered baked brie with fig topping and served it with fresh slices of asian pear and anjou pears....yummy!
Tonight is just quiet.

We did get some sad news today that we were expecting. My cousin (only 36 years old) died today. He was one of two cousins I've had that suffered from Cystic Fibrosis. Both lived longer than expected, but without ongoing research monies there will be more cystic fibrosis people die. It's a very tough disease to live with. No cure has been found yet, but medications and treatments have come along that have enabled their life expectancies to get a bit extended. Better, but not good enough. So unfair and so sad. We can't give up hope...ever!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I'm glad you and your husband had a good day. I'm so sorry about the loss of your cousin. It is very sad and unfair.

Marg Hamilton said...

Thank you for the nice thoughts...I'm glad you're up and running again...I can't imagine how frustrating that was..whew!
When sad things happen, it sure makes you appreciate your own life and know how quickly it can be over.