Wednesday, March 18, 2009

WALKING, WALKING, WALKING... Today was my 'hump' day!

About three weeks ago, along with a friend, my husband and I decided we needed to do something about our 'condition' which was honestly rather pitiful.
It varies who walks on any given day, but whomever can make it does.
We walk for between 45 minutes to one hour. The town we live in is nothing but hills and valleys and no real sidewalks to speak of, so it's a challenge to say the least.
I will honestly tell you that the first week I was SO exhausted and felt so lousy at the end of a walk, I almost packed it in.
Then 'myself' got a mental talking to and I decided I would persevere. Every day I'd go out and every day I'd tell myself to keep it up and my brain was saying this isn't fun in any way.
What made it worse is each week I've gained weight which has made the process even more depressing. My body is rebelling! I tell myself it has to turn around.
Well, today was my 'over the hump' day! I did a one hour walk, almost to the lake and back and when I got in the door of my home, I realized I wasn't as short of breath and not a single part of my body was aching. Hallelujah!
I am actually starting to really enjoy it and now that the weather is getting nicer, it's even more pleasant to get out and get some wonderful fresh air!
Anyone that knows me, knows what a stubborn streak I have so I hope I can use that attribute to do myself some good.
If I can conquer this, maybe next I'll try to stop smoking....one challenge at a time....we'll see.
As far as the walking goes, I intend to keep on keepin'on!

No comments: