Sunday, May 24, 2009

GARDENING........SO WORTH THE HARD WORK!


We've been gardening for two days straight and have two more days or more to get all the gardens in shape. We decided to have curbs put around most of our gardens this year. We spend so much time pulling up grass that grows into the gardens and when it rains we get a lot of run-off. We then have to replenish the top soil almost every year. The curbs are suppose to slow these things so ultimately it isn't as much work or expense. Time will tell.
Today, I spent most of the day on my knees and tonight I'm really feeling my age. Between my hips and my knees, I can barely walk! It's a good thing we love to garden. It's so rewarding when they are back in shape. We constantly split and move things, but enjoy sitting out front and looking at the end result in the evenings.
We still have lots to do, but we now have to order some top soil and compost as we've run out of the stuff we generate ourselves.
Aside from the personal satisfaction we get from doing it, it's nice when some of the people in the village tell us they enjoy seeing our gardens and what we'll do next.
For me, it's kind of therapy and cathartic. It's funny because as a kid, I hated doing gardening when my parents required me to weed, etc.
It is so worth the work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marg... nothing quite like 'being in the garden', and that's where you'll find us again this morning. Love your curb idea.

Anonymous said...

Thanks SO much...happy gardening!