Monday, May 4, 2009

IF IT'S MONDAY...IT'S INSPIRATION .......#10


I'm late getting this inspiration posted, but it is still Monday...whew!

My inspiration shop this week is 'Copper Leaf Studios'. Can I just say I am so taken with this artists work. For me, it draws me in and I'm totally fascinated by the process and the end result so obviously speaks for itself....beautiful, beautiful works! You MUST go visit her shop and her website! It is definitely worth taking the time to admire and even buy some wonderful art. I had asked the artist to provide a picture of her favourite piece, but I'm hoping she'll forgive me and let me put in my favourite! Some day I hope to own a piece of her work!

Here are her links to go see for yourself......

www.CopperLeafStudios.net

www.CopperLeafStudios.etsy.com

And now, in her own words from questions I asked her is her 'inspiration'...thank you, Chris. I really appreciate you taking the time!

1. Who has been your biggest influence and encouragement?My critique group, a group of five friends/ colleagues that has been together for nearly 14 years now. We all grew up as artists together. Each of us has our own medium & style, but we seem to interweave ideas every so often. It’s been an incredible experience to challenge, encourage, and refine each other as artists.

2. What or who inspires you?Tons of things! Lines, shapes, colors, and texture. Mostly texture. Some of my best work is completely void of color, with subtle textures layered on top of one another. A lot of my work is derived from nature, and carefully balanced with an architectural geometry. So inspiration can be anything from a crack in the sidewalk, to the metal beams underneath a bridge, to the edge of a continent.

3. When did you realize you had artistic creativity?It’s always been a part of my life; I took it for granted for a long time. I didn’t consider it seriously as a career option until I was at college. I would bring embroidery or sketches to work on in during lecture classes. I suddenly felt self-conscious when I realized I was the only one doing this! It hadn’t occurred to me to not be constantly making something. I realized at that point that I had better find a way to integrate it into my future career.

4. What haven't you tried yet that you'd like to try?Working with glass – slumping, fusing, stained glass. I’ve done the tiniest bit, and I would love learn more.

5. Who would you love to spend a day with to study them at their art?Maya Lin, Sabrina Ward Harrison, Erika Carter, Nancy Crow… a ton of people! I’m sure it would be an incredible learning experience, no matter who it was.

6. Did or do you have a mentor?Chris Pekoc has been an inspiration – he is a local artist that has risen to international acclaim. Although he’s not a mentor in the formal sense, I’ve been fortunate enough to watch his career develop. He never lost his enthusiasm, and was just as excited to be involved in a local show as a solo exhibit in Europe. And he creates his incredible work from everyday supplies in a humble basement studio.

7.What have you learned about yourself while on your own personal journey?That my work comes as much from my mind as from my heart. Some artists are all about the emotive side, but I love to balance intellectual stimulation with creativity. Some of my work is created as if I am solving a visual puzzle. I think that analytical side and attention to detail has made me a better artist, and a better businessperson.

8. What's the best advice you've been given that has helped you?“Do what you love and the money will follow.”

9. Where would you like to be in 5 years?Living in my little house, making a lot of artwork! Spending my summers sitting beside my koi pond, and my winters in front of my fireplace… enjoying life.

No comments: