Sunday, January 3, 2010

A NEW YEAR....A NEW BEGINNING


Well, I'm feeling fairly positive at the moment. I've started a list of changes I want to make for my life. I'm off to a good start.
Yesterday, I signed up for a one year membership into the Peterborough Sport and Wellness Centre. Once signed on as a member, I signed up for Zumba classes. I begin tomorrow and proceed for 10 weeks. I'm excited about getting started. Tomorrow, I'll go in early to find out about the aquatic aerobics as well. This centre has great facilities from an indoor track for walking/running, eliptical machines, treadmills, rowers, salt water pool, regular pool,etc. etc. No excuses now! What's silly is I've had Zumba dvd's for ages here at home, but can't figure out how to use the new DVD machine we have...duh! It goes back to that technically challenged problem I have at the moment. Hmmm, maybe I should add that to my list as something new to learn!
I spoke with my cousin about working nights cleaning the theatres and he should let me know something today or tomorrow.
In light of my anticipated new changes, I've been attending different churches to find one I feel comfortable and at home. So far, I've tried six, but nothing gives that sense of welcoming and calm I'm looking for. Today, I went to the church some of my cousins attend and my Dad attends at times. It just didn't give me the feeling of comfort I want. I have friends and family that are of different faiths and I have friends and family who are agnostic or atheist. I respect their beliefs regardless of mine. My goal is to build on my faith, not tear down what others have chosen to believe or not to believe, as the case may be. I have always had a strong belief there is a God, but I had lost my faith in Him and in churches. I look forward to rediscovering both.
I have always felt there are definite reasons things happen to us, and I feel through all of the 'stuff' that happened in 2009 I'm meant to learn and grow from each difficult experience.
As yet, even with my daily prayers, the answers have eluded me to this point. I am starting to feel I'm moving forward in a more positive direction, however.
It's funny how comfortable we all get with the 'status quo' and yet will complain about it. For me, I've decided I deserve more and I deserve better.

I'd like to close this post with an acknowledgement of our four fallen Canadian soldiers and one Canadian journalist that will be repatriated this afternoon and then travel what's now been renamed the 'Highway of Heroes'. The bodies of these men and women are flown to Trenton Air Force Base, a ceremony to acknowledge each person takes place, and then the hearses drive them to Toronto for an official autopsy. Once that takes place, their bodies are handed over to their families for a private funeral.
In Canada, we have chosen to honour our fallen in a very public way. It's both touching and warranted. Hundreds of people go out and stand on the bridge overpasses all along Highway 401 and pay tribute to the soldiers and in some small way say 'Thank you'.
To see some of the amazing videos of this:

Go to YouTube and key in the words 'Highway of Heroes' and there are many, many individual videos that show the tremendous outpouring for these, our fallen.

My nephew has done two tours of duty in Afghanistan and I pray every day that he will never have to return. Thank you, Caleb and thank you to all our military families.

No comments: